Sunday 22 August 2010

Books are Narcotic...

... So I went to the library today. Not that I expected there to be anything interesting to find there, seeing as it's a rather small and dull library but sometimes they sell some of their books and that was mainly what I was there for. But when I came there I saw that they had no books on sale today, so I began to walk around to see if there was anything interesting I could lend instead. I haven't visited the library in a while so there was a chance that there might be something there to catch my interest - I read almost whatever I can get my hands on. Except Twilight.

The library was rather empty and very silent, as should be. Whenever I enter a library it feels like I've come to a holy place, a building that's equal to a church; an edifice in which you have to show your respect towards all of the old books by being silent. I've never questioned this rule not only because it's obvious that silence should dominate in a place where people are trying to concentrate on whatever they're reading, trying to lose themselves in another world, but also because it seemed blasphemous to move around and talk loudly as if you owned the place. An act like that... somehow I've always felt as if that would make the great authors, those whom continue to live as letters and words and chapters and poems and pages and large, dusty books angry, but most of all it would make them sad.
Anyhow, I kept walking through the library, sometimes stopping to look at a book or two, when I came to an aisle that was located in a corner which seemed even more desolate and quiet. I quickly glanced at the two bookshelves which stood on each of my side but I had all ready read all of them before, so I turned around to walk away but halted. There was a tall man standing near the end of the aisle, looking towards the entrance. Suddenly he spun around and walked away in the opposite direction while the fluorescent lights (I hate those things) kept flickering. I think he might have been working in the library and I base this on the fact that the way he moved seemed to be indicating that he had forgotten something... then again, a mere visitor could have forgotten something too of course, but it was the first thought that struck me. Perhaps he was a lawyer or something like it, judging by his clothes.
The odd thing however is that he had no face. Granted, he stood a great deal away from me and the lights kept flickering so it could just have been my eyes playing a trick on me or simply a mere hallucination. I believe in the latter since when I walked out of the aisle and looked towards the direction in which he had disappeared to, I saw nothing but a solid wall. There were no doors to be seen anywhere and this part of the library was very open, and there was a sofa and a couple of couches placed there, so I would've seen where he'd gone to if he was real. Unless science has suddenly made a great leap forward, enabling people to take part in an experiment called 'Move like a Ghost!' which makes the test subject in question capable of moving through walls.
I would like to participate.

Well, this was clearly a hallucination though a pretty random one. I still take my medication every day but as you say Mary, there's bound to be holes.
Oh yeah, I walked out of the library without getting a single book with me to read. Guess I'll just have to reread some of mine then.

6 comments:

  1. Twilight? What's so wrong with that-oh. I guess you meant the books, right? Well I must agree with you on that one.

    What I am really surprised about though is your realization of the man being a hallucination. The fact you were able to figure that out must mean the medication is working more than you think it is (or, as another answer you are just intelligent enough to realize when it isn't real). Most of the time such a hallucination would cause some sort of delusion linked with it, such as the man being someone who was stalking you or something else of the sort.

    Even so, it seems very abnormal and quite frankly, creepy. Faceless people, I don't think I've had to deal with those since I was little when I had nightmares.
    And, I completely second joining that scientific experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love that time of the day but... the books, not so much.

    Oh, I think you're right about that. It's comforting to know that the medication's still working - or well, we can't know for sure, but then I'm glad to know that I'm intelligent enough to determine whether it's a hallucination or not. ;) Then again, what else could it be? A ghost? I don't think there's many faceless people where I live.

    Funny thing is that I did not feel alarmed at all at the time. It's only now, when I look back at this 'encounter' that I feel a bit uncomfortable. It was a rather random hallucination and I have no idea why I got it.
    It would be an awesome experiment, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yes I don't see being faceless as a common trait.

    Maybe you are only now taking in the effects? I've never experienced a hallucination myself so I wouldn't know the effects it has on the brain but I assume it's something like a nightmare perhaps? Maybe the the more or less you know about it after it's happened the more it disturbs you? I'm only guessing here, mind you.
    xD And yes, it really would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe in another dimension. XD

    Perhaps. When I have nightmares I'm afraid /in/ the dream, as well as a brief time after I've woken up, but the fear soon subsides. The same applies to the hallucinations a lot of the time... but not always, so yeah, I think you've got a point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does he see without eyes?

    ReplyDelete